Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I'm Just a Girl

I haven't really had much to write about lately - what can I say; I've been going out a lot, I've put on what feels like 100 pounds (ok, that's an exaggeration, but...) and I've been watching a lot of baseball during my week of "vacation" before my summer courses start. Life is good.

So, as I sit here watching end of the ridiculously high-scoring Yankees game (I taped the Sox game while out to dinner with a friend tonight so I could watch it in the morning) I realized that the only slightly annoying thing about my past two nights was that every time I spoke about baseball with any males other than my friends, I was automatically counted out.

What do I mean by counted out? Last night, for example, I was out at a bar, talking baseball with my best guy friend in the world, and some random college kid interjected. This was fine. Except for the fact that the kid continually talked over me, and only with my friend, after having piped into our conversation, not even making eye contact with me. And then tonight, I was out with a girlfriend, and while she was in the restroom and the Yankees game was on in the background and I was talking to some nice guys who were watching the gameabout general stuff - teaching, jobs, what-not, etc., a very give and take conversation - as soon as I made a comment about the pitching going on in the game (well, at least Shawn Chacon is proving himself to be just that, Shawn Chacon) it was like I had stepped across some line and had blackballed myself. Yes, I'm a little girl, I'm probably a pretty girl, but I'm also a girl who happens to be a baseball fan. So why is there some unwritten rule that I can't talk about the game with men?

Fuck. I just jinxed my team (a natural thing to think when you're a Sox fan) by speaking negatively about the game. Jorge Posada with a walk-off HR for the Yanks.

Hopefully the die-hard Yanks fan who owns the dry cleaning establishment I frequent will engage me in some sort of discussion about the game tomorrow - as, of course, I'm picking up my pink skirt!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home