Tuesday, February 21, 2006

the little pleasures

So it's two in the morning and I'm still awake. This used to be okay when I would sleep until noon, but... not so much now. The perpetual late-night noise next door has reached an all-time high tonight (I think they brought in a karaoke machine, and I can only wish I was kidding) and hence, I am trying to enjoy what will be an inevitable two more hours awake (and counting) while subsequently ignoring the mess that is my bedroom - cleaning it is not an option, since if I go in there I'll just get aggravated, anyway, because that's the room attached to the noise.

So instead I lit the new candle I bought this afternoon (bamboo) and sat my little butt down on my comfy papison chair that everyone said was too big for my apartment but I insisted on keeping (and in doing so was forced to forego other, perhaps more practical, items of furniture, but... it's a Manhattan apartment, and these are choices we make!) and whipped out one of my not-so-guilty pleasures - the sunday new york times crossword - and maybe it was an easy one this week, but I am oh-so-close to finishing it, closer than I ever have been in my life working on it all by myself. No mom to consult, no googling answers that would be so easy to find, and were it not for the bottom right-hand corner, it would be done. On my own. And by the way, if anyone knows the 78 across/73/74 down responses, or the 101/102/103 down answers, then it will be done.

Content. So content that I may just curl up on the papison instead of in my bed and sleep here tonight, because I have a schedule to keep tomorrow, and I really would like to wake up early and excited and feeling as content as I feel right now.

1 Comments:

At 2:28 AM, Blogger John Bradley said...

Hey LM. Am I your first reader? How exciting. I love crosswords too, and I can usually do ok on them. Post the clues, # of letters, and I'll see what I can do. :) I'm not sure how its done in NYC, but here in TO, we just bang on the walls if ppl are being too loud.

Next time you should have some drinks and go crash their party!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home